Will came by yesterday and we did some hands-on work on a test website. He's expressed an interest in learning web development.

Amazon messed up delievery two times this week - I was supposed to get Will's birthday gift on the 16th - it didn't come until the 18th - and I was told two CSS books I ordered were lost so I contacted them and they replaced the order - but both of them came (which meant I needed to contact them again!). Hopefully this was just a fluke...what a mess.

I got the replacement card for CWR and tried to update it on PayPal - what a hassle. I hadn't changed our address yet, so it went round and round saying I couldn't change the address since it was linked to a card, and saying I couldn't add a card with our new address. Finally, I removed the original card, edited my info, and added a new card...(and then I had spaces in the number, which you can't have, so it took a while for me to figure that out!) I've been working with computers for decades, but they still mess me up...

I watched the Joomlashine video about editing CSS and finally know how to do it using Firebug - it's actually easy. I'm sorry I didn't take the time to watch the video sooner. I was able to get the tag container looking the way I wanted.

Richard is going to Sams this afternoon and we'll have steaks for dinner tonight.

We watched the finale of Halt and Catch Fire on Saturday - we'll really miss it!

 

I keep having to Google to find the solution - here it is... 

"I found a much easier way that works within the search module... Just add a single space in the "Box Label" Field...."

I sure wish Joomla added a click box, but knowing all these obsurce things is part of the joy.

 

The site is back together and working well. I still need to check on the tags display page, but otherwise I've been able to finally optimize it (I wonder where the problem is on the older sites with the older templates) and have it perform correctly. I've backed up and I'm good to go...

Tonight is Halt and Catch Fire - I'm going to go get ready and relax for a while. I have a terrible cold with chest congestion but I think it's starting to get better (knock on wood)

 

Success!

After struggling with my old site for awhile, I decided to delete everything and start over. Everything is working well now although I've had my share of blips. The one thing I realized is that you need to rename htaccess.txt for things to work - it's amazing. Also, I never seem to be able to easily install because I'm never sure of my domain password - thank goodness for RoboForom!

I've installed Joomla and the Joomlashine template (along with the updated framework). My most important next one is CleanCache. I found a wonderful extension that imports articles so I was able to maintain my old articles and bring them into the new site (it even imports the tags). So, at this point I just need to add a few things and tweak stuff and I'm all new and happy.

I also need to remember to add an extra space at the end of articles so that they are separated correctly...

 

We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.

Abraham Lincoln


 A pessimist sees the difficullty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Winston Churchill

Go to Top